“I understood, through rehab, things about creating characters. I understood that creating whole people means knowing where we come from, how we can make a mistake and how we overcome things to make ourselves stronger.” – Samuel L. Jackson
Consider the fact that alcohol is popular all over the world, and in countries that allow it, it is not regulated very strictly; and sometimes not at all. Now consider the fact that it is one of the biggest causes of deaths in the US, with more and more people falling prey to it, day by day. This is the reality of alcoholic abuse in the United States, and in fact the world.
Incidentally, no matter how many deaths occur due to the prevalence of alcoholism, and how much damage governments have to bear, alcohol abuse, and its prevention via counseling, is never given the sort of mainstream treatment that drug abuse cases are.
Why Alcohol Abuse Counseling is not Mainstream
Part of the reason why alcohol addiction is not paid as much attention to as it should be is the massive alcohol corporations who benefit from the widespread consumption of alcoholic drinks. Part of the reason why alcohol addiction is not paid that much attention to is the generally negligent behavior of society when it comes to drinking, with regular drug usage taking the majority of the spotlight.
In any case, alcohol abuse is usually swept under the rug. While there is a huge drive to tackle the situation, what with counseling groups and such operating on a large scale all over the country and rehabilitation centers taking in people every day, the issue is still not as talked about as drug abuse.
5 Reasons Why Alcohol Addiction Counseling should be Mainstream
To that end, following are some of the biggest reasons why we all need to be paying more attention to alcohol abuse and alcoholism, which is doing so much damage on a daily basis.
- Alcohol is a lot more addictive than most substances, which is why people get very easily addicted to it, and start abusing it. This particular capability is reason enough why we need to spread more addiction-related awareness.
- Alcoholic drinks are readily available, which increases the chances of excessive consumption. One can find beer and some stronger alcoholic drinks in pharmacies in the US. This should be talked about more, and addicts should be made to ignore the regular availability.
- Counseling is the only way to save an alcoholic, since there is no medicine that helps with it. Putting a person on medication to help with alcohol addiction would be like taking them away from one addictive substance and putting them on to another, which is why counseling should be made more common everywhere.
- A lot of addiction cases start from early education centers, which is why these institutions should have counseling for alcoholism as well.
- Alcoholism ruins a person’s life, and severely impacts the lives of people around them, as well as those close to them. This often goes without intervention, as the person is always assumed to be ‘under stress’ and whatnot. The truth is that individuals such as these need counseling and not immature opinions, if society is to improve.
It is said that a lot of problems can be solved with the abolition of alcoholism. This can only be accomplished if counseling is made more common, and even mandatory.