A sprained ankle is recognized as an injury which is the result of twisting, rolling, or turning your ankle in a different manner. It can tear or stretch the ligaments (tough bands of tissue) which aid in holding the bones of your ankles together. Ligaments are helpful in stabilizing joints. They also prevent excessive movement. Ankle sprain happens at times when the ligaments are compelled beyond their usual range of motion. The majority of the sprained ankles comprise ligaments’ injuries and the external portion of your ankle. The important thing is you can easily fall prey to an ankle sprain, as just a fast twisting movement can result in this problem.
Actually, athletes are not the only ones who face this danger. Due to the physical exertion comprised, most often dancers become susceptible to this injury. Dancers habitually suffer from a sprained ankle. At the time of performing a jump, dancers roll over their ankle, again, at times, they land incorrectly too and this makes ligaments to tear. When the spraining happens, dancers might get to hear a ‘popping sound’ and this alerts them that they have ended up twisting their ankle. For more information on the causes of dancers’ sprained ankle visit https://nydnrehab.com/blog/ankle-sprains-in-dancers/.
The symptoms of ankle sprain
The symptoms of the sprained ankle are mentioned below:
- 1st degree-symptoms – Here, the ligaments get stretched but do not get torn. The symptoms comprise:
- Some swelling
- Mild pain
- Mild joint stiffness
- Some joint instability
- A problem in jumping or jogging
- 2nd degree-symptoms – The second degree sprained ankle is considered the most common and it is a fractional tearing of the ligament. The symptoms comprise:
- Moderate pain
- Remarkable swelling
- Trouble in walking
- Some loss of motion
- 3rd degree symptoms – These symptoms are viewed as the most severe. With this kind of sprain, it gets verified that the ligament has got entirely torn. The symptoms comprise:
- Severe swelling
- Walking turns painful
- Instability of your joint
- Severe swelling
- Too much loss of motion
Your physician will execute physical exam for determining the ligaments which have been torn. At the time of the exam, your physician might move your ankle joint to check the range of motion. Again, imaging tests, like X-rays too can be ordered for ruling out the fracture of the bone. An MRI too can be done when your physician suspects a fracture or a serious ligaments’ injury or injury to the ankle joint’s surface. The MRI tests use robust radio waves and magnetic field for creating detailed images, and this permits the doctor to make a suitable diagnosis.
You can treat modest sprains at home. The advised home care treatments comprise:
- Wearing a brace for supporting your ankle
- Using elastic bandages, like an ACE bandage for wrapping up your ankle; however, you must not use it too tightly.
- Using crutches
- Uplifting your foot with a pillow for lessening swelling.
- Taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen for managing pain.
- Getting lots of rest and not putting additional weight on your ankle.
Getting instant treatment becomes all the more necessary for the dancers as when a danger sustains ankle injury; they ought to seek professional medical assistance at the earliest. For many effectual treatment methods of ankle sprain among dancers, log on to nydnrehab.com/blog/ankle-sprains-in-dancers/.